Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tales of Xander

I know you love them. So do I. At least after the fact.

He is so stinkin' independent that it's not even funny! He wants to do everything by himself. He climbs up on the vanity in the downstairs bathroom, where there's about an inch of space between the sink and the edge, and gets himself a drink of water. If I help in any way--like turning on the water, getting the cup for him, or even trying to steady him on the precarious edge--he gets highly offended. He'll dump out the drink and start over, because he has to do it all himself. The other day, though, he brought me a drink of water at lunch that he'd gotten for me all by himself. It even had a straw in it, which as you know makes any drink extra special. My heart just melted.

Our new van has a power sliding door. He loves the power door. He's obsessed with it. Every time we get in the van, he yells, "I push button! I push button!" The button in question is on the inside of the van, so we have to open the door and he gets in and presses the button, which closes the door before everyone else gets in. Then he gets mad if we open it again. Sigh. Once he's buckled in, he can't reach the button, which usually results in a lot of complaining that he wants to "push button!" Same deal when it's time to get out. I hope the novelty of the sliding door wears off soon!

At church, he loves the Sacrament (a spiritual giant. I know). Actually, when it gets to our bench he yells, "There it is, Mom. Toast!" He's also been singing in church. I think I mentioned that before.

On Friday, he fell asleep at the swimming pool around four o'clock and didn't wake up until  8:30. Then he stayed up until about 1:30 am. Argh. When I tried to take a much needed nap on Saturday, he kept coming in about every ten minutes. I know I could lock the door, but when I do that, he stands there and kicks it and shouts, "Mom!" It's much worse than just letting him come in. I was a little ticked off that the rest of the family wouldn't keep him out of my room, but I know how hard it is to keep a handle on that kid. Besides, he climbs into bed with me and says, "Puppy." Which means he wants to be my puppy and snuggle with me. Of course, this puppy always meows.

I could go on and on. This little guy sure keeps us all on our toes!

We love you, Xander.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, he is such a hoot! What a fun ... and funny little guy. Thanks for sharing - I sure enjoy his stories and cute pictures!

Linz said...

Oh! he is so cute!! I love this post!

tiffany said...

he is so cute everyone falls in love with him instantly

Larry and Cindy said...

That is funny and I remember my kids being like that also! Lindsay was also ultra independant!!! It must have something to do with being the baby and everyone trying to help you do everything. Dad says we will try to schedul with his work to come in September around the middle. Love To All, MOM

tiffany said...

it might have to do with being the baby or it might have to be he shares a birthday with indsay

amjatm said...

Sounds like you have your hand full with him! Ahh...those terrible two's or three's!