Sunday, May 23, 2010

In Rusty's Defense

Well, he may not be fancy, but Rusty can make a mean chocolate chip cookie, and does so almost every Sunday. In fact, he's baking cookies right now. Mmmmm. Can't wait. Also, he was named the Jazz Band MVP at the Fine Arts Award Banquet. He and his friend wrote a song for their Ender's Game book project (with piano, sax, and vocals) and it totally rocked! As you may know, Ender's Game is one of my favorite books ever, and I was quite impressed with their song. I'll try to get them over here so I can record it.

Ryan tried out for and was chosen for Drum Major of the marching band this year. Way to go Ryan! He'll be awesome. (That kid on the trumpet in front of him in the picture is the assistant drum major.) I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but he was also given an Outstanding Soloist award at the State Jazz Band Festival, and he scored an impressive 32 on the ACT. Just three and a half more days of school, and he'll officially be a senior. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm not that old am I?

Sam performed in the sixth grade talent show. He played "Dark Horse" by David Lanz. Not an easy piece at all. (Heck, I couldn't play it.). He played it all from memory. It wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty impressive, especially for someone his age. I know his friends were all very impressed. Yes, we did capture this on video, but I have not yet figured out the secrets of posting videos, so you'll just have to wait. (Tracy is creating video montages of the kids performances. They are going to be awesome. We will post them soon, I hope.) Sam also received a certificate for being nominated by his teachers for the Kiwanis club Terrific Kid award. (Rusty won that award when he was in fifth grade.) Good job Sam!

Ankle update: It's improving. I can walk without crutches, but I think I used it too much this week, because it was so sore and swollen after Ryan's band concert last night, that I just wanted to cry. In fact, I did cry. But I made it to church today. Tracy held my hand while I slowly limped through the halls. I think I will still have to rest it quite a bit, but I'm heading into my fourth week of lameness, and yeah. I'm not really that patient. I have missed May! But at least I have been able to get to all the kids performances and awards banquets. Can't wait for school to be out. Thursday is the last day. Summer fun awaits!

6 comments:

Linz said...

**speechless** you're kids are amazing!!

I hope your ankle feels better soon!!!

tiffany said...

any guy that will bake cookies every sunday is fancy in my book even if he farts and his room smells like a skunk

and your kids are amazing i need to hangout with them more so i can be a little amazing

are you sure your ankle isnt broken?

Larry and Cindy said...

Well, I as Lindsay, am speechless as well!!! You have amazing children. Not just a couple of them but ALL of them...Dad and I just shake our heads think how in the world did they get so many awesome children!!! Congratulations to Ryan, Rusty and Sam...You are simply outstanding!!! As for you Ms. Angie maybe it would be wise when walking alot or standing alot you may still want to use those crutches. Keep it elevated and ice on..ice off!!! I am so proud to be your Mother and the Grandmother of such awesome children!!! LOVE TO ALL!!!

Brooke said...

Congrats to Ryan, Rusty, and Sam! I can't wait to see the video. How exciting to be a drum major! Maybe we'll be able to see him in the 4th of July parade next summer - that would be fun! I hope your ankle gets better Angie.

Unknown said...

Actually I only have 2 1/2 days. We don't have school Tuesday because of graduation. :)

Michelle said...

32!!!!! Holy cow. That is awesome, Ryan. I too am envious of the drum major! Way-ta-go!

I love the song Dark Horse. I'm so impressed that Sam can play it all memorized and everything. Super fabulous!

I can't wait to hear some of the Ender's Game song. What a cool thing to do! I loved that book too!

Good luck with the Summer vacation stuff ... maybe some Summer Snowman building is in order. :/!