Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One Awesome Service Project!

I wanted to help out my friend Suzette. She is in the middle of renovating her house. They are adding a wonderful addition, and she's living in a construction zone. She has to pack up a bunch of her stuff and get it out the way. It's like moving, only with nowhere to go. And her husband just left town. He's a pilot for a mapping company, and he's gone for a month or more at a time. (He gets to be off for a month or more at a time, too). Suzette is always doing nice stuff for me. Like last year, for instance, she totally saved me from the post-partum nuclear meltdown I had after I brought Xander home. She's really like the best visiting teacher ever, though, ironically, she is not my visiting teacher. ;)

I told her I'd bring lunch over on Monday, and then I'd help her with whatever she needed. After we finished lunch, I said, "Okay, is there more stuff to pack up or what?" She said, "Yeah, there's still a ton, but what I really need is to relax and hang out." Her husband told her to have me take her into the pergola in the backyard to talk about writing, so we did. We lounged around on lawn chairs in the sunshine while the girls played on the swing set. After Xander fell asleep, we went in, and so we could stay upstairs where Xander was sleeping, we piled up all the pillows and blankets on her daughter's bed and lounged around there. We read a few picture books and ate way too many oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (I did make the cookies, at least). So, I spent two and a half hours relaxing, shooting the breeze, and eating cookies. That's my kind of service project!

3 comments:

Linz said...

That is a great service project! And I am sure it was really needed! You're great!

tiffany said...

i agree with linz if you want you can do that kind of service project at my house. jobs i have had in the past i have told coworkers to come in and sit in a room while i did the work an just talk for a while it was fun

Unknown said...

lol! I'm with you there! That sounds so nice! I think we all needs those times.