Thursday, February 26, 2009

Update on the Update

Okay, since everyone is interested, I am going to post Sam's Science Fair Report:

Color or Words?

By: Sam Lofthouse

One day my brother gave me a test where you had to say the color of the word and not what the word said. That made my wonder if humans paid more attention to words or color. I decided to make a little poster and quiz people in my family. My hypothesis is they would get most of them wrong.

I found out that most people get them wrong. That is when there is a time limit. The time limit scares them and they rush. I think I should have used one.

I used a poster, a notebook, a pencil, and a person to a quiz. I made the poster thirty words long, and I almost made some words underlined, italic, or bold, and the words were a color but in a different color. For example: red in the color yellow. They had to say the color of the word to get it right. I then decided that they had to say the words in five seconds, but my brother changed my mind. I started with my little brother. He got nine wrong. Then I quizzed my older brother. He got three wrong. My little sister got one wrong. My mom, two wrong. My dad and other older brother got none wrong. I was going to try, but two lines in I realized I had no right, all wrong.

My hypothesis was wrong. The final score was 15 wrong, 165 right. I thought it would be the other way around. Even though they got them mostly right, they went really slowly. With a time limit, my hypothesis would be correct.

If any one did this project, I suggest that you do a time limit, and make some words underlined, italic, or bold.


So, there you have it. I also neglected to mention one other class that Ryan is taking next year: Japanese 2. Also, he was named a Student of the Month for February. We went to a little breakfast at the High School today to honor him. Good job, Ryan! And I have determined that Xander can say both "stupid" and "stop it." Great.

We took our Suburban in to the shop, because the brakes didn't feel or sound right. Good thing we did, since they were about to fail all together. It's all fixed now, though.



5 comments:

Linz said...

Cool cool cool project!! Very well thought out and executed! Well done Sam!

COngrats Ryan! That is awesome!!

And I am VERY glad you got the brakes fixed!

tiffany said...

that is so cool im proud of sam im proud of ryan also they are so smart at least xander is not saying stopt it stupid as a sebtence

Larry and Cindy said...

GREAT JOB SAM...THAT WAS QUITE THE SCIENCE PROJECT. I TOOK THE IQ TEST ON FACEBOOK BUT I COULDN'T GET MY RESULTS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A CELL PHONE. I PUT IN MY HOME PHONE NUMBER BUT THAT DIDN'T WORK...OH WELL. WAY TO GO SMART BOY RYAN!!! STUDENT OF THE MONTH AND ALL THOSE AP CLASSES. JUST WATCH YOU BE PROFICIENT IN JAPANESE AND YOU'LL GO ON YOUR MISSION TO ROME... LOVE TO ALL OF YOU GRANDMA CINDY

Michelle said...

I love your non-chalant (spelling?) attitude about Xander's awesome phrases he's learning and the brakes nearly failing. hahahaha.

Thanks for posting the science project details. That's really fun. A time limit would DEFINITELY put the pressure on. Camary only missed one? Wow.

Japanese, huh? That is crazy. Good luck Ryan!!

Unknown said...

That experiment was very cool! You're just full of a house of intelligence. (I almost put intelli"gents". I'm such a nerd when it comes to puns.)

I'm glad you got your brakes fixed before they went out on you! That wouldn't have been fun.

Xander definitely has older siblings! he he!

Way to go, Ryan, on student of the month! That's fantastic! I didn't know there was schools in Utah that taught Japanese!