Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mother/Daughter Camp Out


This weekend, our ward had a mother/daughter camp out. I have to admit, I was reluctant to go. For one thing, it was far away--in Ophir, UT. If you don't know where Ophir is, you're not alone. Suffice it to say it was a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from our house, and we had to go through Lehi which, as you may know, is one of the classic blunders. (The first, as everyone knows, is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this: never try to drive through Lehi on a Friday night!) Also (and I hate to admit this) I felt reluctant to give up my weekend writing time in order to go. But Camary was so excited about it, and the Relief Society Pres had asked me to bring my guitar, so I determined to clean up my bad attitude and go have a good time. I bought strings and fixed my guitar. I decided not to worry about how much I had written. I would go and have fun with my girl. I think the Lord blessed me for my willingness, and I found that I had already reached my 10 page goal for the week before we even left for the camp out. I survived the traffic in Lehi, and we made it to the cabin in Ophir. It was quite pretty up there. I played my guitar, but I had lost my voice due to a cold, so I didn't sing. I think everyone liked the background strumming, though. We had s'mores and slept in our little two-man (or woman in this case) tent. On Saturday, we made up skits and learned to hula. It was pretty fun. Here are a few pics of Camary having fun.

Camary on the slide

And the rings

Walking with a friend

On the rope swing

Today has been a good one. First thing in the morning, we went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication. How lucky are we to go to two temple dedications in six months? We heard a story about Heber J. Grant (I think), who made a long and difficult journey to St. George so that he could be married in the temple. He said he never regretted doing that, though he could have just gotten married and waited for the Salt Lake Temple to be finished and then be sealed. It made me think of Tiff and her decision. After the dedication, we had my best friend and her girls over for yummy breakfast burritos. It made for a great Sunday.

5 comments:

tiffany said...

looks & sounds like a very fun weekend thanks for the last paragraph it helps with my decicion

Linz said...

I heard that story too and both Michael and I mentioned how proud we were of Tiff and her decision! What a wonderful example for everyone!

Now - on to the camp out... HOW FUN!!! I would have been reluctant too. I am glad you met your writting goal and that you were able to have a great time!

LOVED this post! (Especially the Princess Bride reference... can't go wrong with those! I need to watch that movie again...)

Michelle said...

Camary is so adorable. I'm sure she was just in heaven. What a fun girl's trip!

Unknown said...

That sounds so nice! I'm glad you had a good weekend.

Larry and Cindy said...

Way to go Angie and Camary...A Girls Camp Out... What could be more fun than that??? I am so proud of you. Remember when I came up and went to the Mother Daughter camp out with you when you were pregnant with Finlay because you didn't have a daughter...that was so much fun!!! I sure Love The Lofthouse Family!!! MOM