Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sam's Birthday and The GOP Primary


Sam turned ten years old on Tuesday! My kids are all getting so big. He got some Lego Star Wars sets and a book called The Fire Eternal, part of a series he enjoys. We had cake and ice cream. He wanted a cake shaped like the Death Star. Yeah, right. I don't have Mandi's flare for cake decorating. So, he said he wanted it frosted red, like a Red Giant star. No problemo, right? Well, I found out that no matter how much red food coloring you dump in, the frosting is still pink. I decided it was dark enough anyway, and went to frost the cake, which promptly fell to pieces. Sigh. I told him it was a red giant in the process of going supernova. It tasted good, though.

That same day was the Republican Primary where Jason Chaffetz challenged 12 year incumbent Chris Cannon for the 3rd district congressional seat. Now, I've been voting against Cannon for years. I got excited about Chaffetz when Tracy was a delegate to the state convention. Chaffetz forced Cannon into a primary, where he beat Cannon 59% to 41% (they have to get 60% to get the nomination outright), so we almost didn't even need a primary. Well, I figured I had to do my part to get Chaffetz elected, so I volunteered for his campaign. I marched in the Art City Days Parade, put yard signs in my yard, and passed out about 150 door hangers in my neighborhood. All the volunteers were invited to the Election Night party. It was in Springville, so after cake and ice cream, Tracy and I went to the party. It was a blast, especially since Chaffetz won by 20% over Cannon! That's never happened to an incumbent before. I am so excited. (Since the 3rd district is the most Republican district in the nation, it's a pretty safe bet that he'll win the general election, too.) I think we really sent a message to our leaders and the Republican party in general that we are fed up with business as usual! Anyway, we were even on TV, cheering at the party. If any of you reading this live in the 3rd district, check out jasonforcongress.com to find out more about Chaffetz and his stand on the issues.

I am glad I got involved. I really felt like I made a difference. I plan to stay involved, too!

3 comments:

tiffany said...

looks like a fun party loved the cake

Larry and Cindy said...

I thought the cake looked cute!!! I know what you mean about red food coloring! You have to use Wilton brand to get real red. I am glad you enjoyed you politicing, sounds fun!!! Love Ya Mom

Linz said...

Happy Birthday Sam! Glad you enjoyed your supernova cake! Oh, I think you can get "true" red food coloring in cake decorating sections (right next to the black food coloring =D if you ever need it in the future!)

Good job on doing your part in the political process! Yea!